University of Minnesota
University of Minnesota
http://www.umn.edu/
612-625-5000

IAS Thursdays: Unspoken

Available for download as audio (.mp3, 76.7MB) or video (.m4v, 433.1MB).

Question and Answer Session

Available for download as audio (.mp3, 11.5MB) or video (.m4v, 65.3MB).

“The conflict between the will to deny horrible events and the will to proclaim them aloud is the central dialectic of psychological trauma.” (Judith Herman, Trauma and Recovery, 1992).

9.12.13 RK_Unspoken credit in flyer

This conflict operates in our bodies, our minds, and in our societies.

Rebecca Krinke, Professor of Landscape Architecture, UMN, has an art practice and research agenda focused on trauma and responses to trauma.  Krinke has invited five distinguished scholars to help her explore this issue through short individual presentations and reflective discussion.

Panelists
David Beard, Associate Professor of Rhetoric, UMD, speaking on the 1920 lynchings in Duluth and their ongoing impact.
Jeanne Kilde, Religious Studies, UMN, speaking on issues related to the Muslim Community Center proposed near ground zero, NYC.
Kevin Murphy, Associate Professor of History and a UMN leader of the multi-institutional “Guantanamo Public Memory Project.”

Discussants
Naomi Scheman, Professor of Philosophy, UMN.
José Medina, Professor of Philosophy, Vanderbilt University.

David Beard: Silence and the Excess of Speech

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Rebecca Krinke: Undertow: The Clues/What Needs To Be Said

I will open the Thursday @ 4 by very briefly showing two artworks of mine that helped me to see “the unspoken”. One is from my studio practice (Undertow: The Clues), an installation made for a gallery show, and the other a participatory work of public art (What Needs To Be Said?).

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Please join the discussion ~
This event took place Thursday, September 12, 2013, at 4:00 pm in 125 Nolte. Co-Sponsored by Religious Studies.

Related Links

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,