University of Minnesota
University of Minnesota
http://www.umn.edu/
612-625-5000

Tony Brown, Faculty Fellow, Fall 2006

Faculty Fellow 2006-07Tony C. Brown (Department of English, College of Liberal Arts)
Project title: “Beside History: Rethinking the Primitive in the Long Eighteenth Century”

Tony Brown worked on a book project, The Primitive, the Aesthetic, and the Savage: An Enlightenment Problematic (Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, forthcoming), and successfully applied for a full-year NEH fellowship at the Huntington Library. He collaborated with fellow Christine Marran in developing a freshman seminar, “The Animal.”

Professor Brown noted how important cross-disciplinary connections were in refining how he thought about his own work and communicated it: “While the time provided allowed for complexity, the need to communicate my work to colleagues from various disciplines, not only from the humanities but the social sciences, forced a simultaneous simplification. To make myself understood I myself had to understand my work not simply vertically—within the confines of literary studies—but horizontally—in relation with questions posed in the political sciences, in history, even drama as practiced rather than as read.

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , ,