University of Minnesota
University of Minnesota
http://www.umn.edu/
612-625-5000

Ray Schultz, Faculty Fellow, Fall 2006

Ray Schultz (Theatre Discipline, UMN-Morris)

Project title: “The Love, Valor, and Compassion of Terrence McNally: Dramatizing the Gay Revolution from Stonewall to AIDS and Beyond”

Ray Schultz made major progress on his book project, Terrence McNally: A Playwright Who Happens To Be Gay. He completed another article for publication and made significant contacts in the Twin Cities theater community.

About being an IAS fellow, Professor Schultz has said, “Just being a fellow and in residence on the Twin Cities campus was intellectually and spiritually invigorating for me as an academic who teaches on the university’s coordinate liberal arts campus. (Indeed, I commend the IAS for including coordinate campus faculty in the fellowship program and hope they will continue this practice.) The fellows’ weekly luncheons/presentations and informal coffees, as well as the Institute’s Thursday afternoon talks, made me even more aware of the importance of being open to diverse voices and a wide variety of topics and disciplines. I found this aspect of the experience particularly rewarding; I think it is what makes the fellowship experience “complete.” Additionally, I learned a lot! It made me feel like a student again, which is, I think, a good thing for a teacher to feel now and then. I would just like to end by thanking the University of Minnesota for providing its faculty with such a fabulous opportunity.”

Tagged , , , , , , ,