University of Minnesota
University of Minnesota
http://www.umn.edu/
612-625-5000

Biljana Obradovic, Visiting Fellow, Spring 2006

April 19, 2006, Biljana Obradovic (English, Xavier University of Louisiana), visiting fellow at the IAS, with Salman Rushdie after his public lecture, “Step Across this Line.” Obradovic and Rushdie were students together at the Cathedral and John Connon School in Bombay.

Biljana Obradovic (Associate Professor of English at Xavier University of Louisiana in New Orleans)

Professor Obradovic, who is a poet and translator, survived hurricane Katrina (although her house did not), and spent her semester in Minnesota working on her poems for her latest collection, The Unnecessary Chronicle. She also worked on a multigenre memoir (poems, dreams, prose, letters…) of a diasporic poet from the former Yugoslavia who has lived and studied on three continents, trying to establish her identity—as she says, “I see myself hanging above the Atlantic ocean between my two homelands, unwanted in both, not belonging to one, not belonging to the other; suspended in air, I don’t know whether I will land or plunge in deep, and never come out alive.” Obradovic and her husband, John Gery (University of New Orleans), temporary relocated to the University of Minnesota as two of the first IAS fellows after Hurricane Katrina displaced them from their home in Louisiana.

Tagged , , , , , , , , ,